Thursday, November 16, 2006

How It Began

I'm not sure exactly what day the conversation happened. I do remember that it was in early October 2006. Pete was standing in the kitchen staring into the refrigerator and I was standing in the dining room in the hallway entrance. I said something like, what do you think about adopting? He said something like, maybe. That was all that I needed to hear. I was shocked that his first response was not "Are you NUTS? NO!"

I immediately started to research adoption (costs, agencies, processes, etc.) It didn't take us much discussion to decide on China. It was the one and only country that just felt right to us. 95% of all children in Chinese orphanges are girls. We love girls! Obviously. So I digress. It was on our 9th wedding anniversary, our first week-end ever away from all 3 girls, and all that was on my mind was adding a 4th! Who knows when this chance away would ever happen again for us. The possibility of adoption weighed heavy on my heart all week-end long. It was all that I wanted to talk about. Pete finally said, let's do it but not until I get a promotion so we can afford it. Let's pray about it some more. Not exactly what I wanted to hear. Of course I had all of my reasons why we could not wait that long, who knew when that would happen? Why wait? It's God's Plan, why are you stalling? Why not now? I had researched fundraising, grants, as well as Pete's work benefits already. I didn't want money to stand in our way. So by the time we were on our way home (btw, we only lasted one night away and came home on the second night) Pete said we could go ahead with it! I was thrilled and excited all at the same time.

So our Journey to China begins - it is all in God's hands.

No comments: