Thursday, May 21, 2009

Second Therapy Visit

Today was Kaiden's second visit to therapy. He had 30 mins with OT followed by 30 mins with PT. Luckily he fell asleep early today while playing so I didn't have to wake him up to go. He had been up for 2 hours already and we went for a walk so I was a bit worried that he wouldn't do so well after all of that fresh air. But boy was I surprised. Today was a big milestone for us. I felt like a first time Mom all over again. During his OT visit he wanted to suck his finger often so the OT said, why don't' we try putting food on it and see how it goes. It was going well so she said, let's push it and see how it goes. She pulled his finger out and put food into his mouth on a spoon on the inside of his cheek between his cheek and gums. And he swallowed! She kept this up for about a quarter of a jar of bananas and then let me do another quarter of a jar. At first he would suck his finger after his bite, I think to help swallow the food. But eventually he caught on and stopped doing that. He even opened up his mouth when we would bring the spoon within his eyesight! I brought the jar home and finished it up with him. Then tonight, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I tried to feed him a jar of peas. I always started the girls with vegetables since they aren't sweet so they wouldn't refuse them later. We tried all of the first foods in his bottles without any troubles so I thought he'd take the peas on a spoon. Nope. He completely refused them. Then I tried sweet potatoes and he ate the whole jar again! I think we are on to something now. Here's a short video that K2 shot of him eating.



After OT he had PT. He wasn't interested in anything she wanted to do with him. She had to set him down twice because he got so mad. We know that he has to be pushed but when he starts screaming, there is no point in trying to push him any further. I am hoping that in the Fall we can move his times to the morning when he is more engaging.

No comments: