Friday, May 15, 2009

ENT Visit

This afternoon Kaiden has his appointment with the Pediatric ENT, Dr. Madgy at Chilren's Hospital downtown. I had planned to go to his office in Clinton Township by myself but the office needed to re-scheduled and I was able to get into the downtown office quicker. Since it was in the afternoon on a Friday when Pete normally works from home, I asked him to come with me. I've never been to this hospital so I felt more comfortable not going by myself.

Our appointment was for 1:10. We didn't get seen until 2:15 pm. Then we were first seen by a resident. I'm usually understanding when it comes to seeing residents since I worked at St. John's and know that they have to learn somehow. However, after waiting for well over 1 hour to see the physician, I was less than patient. I was heating up thinking that we weren't going to see Madgy when he did finally come in. Apparently the resident does the in-take interview and then Madgy takes over.

As Kaiden's pediatrician suspected, Madgy 'wasn't impressed' with his tongue tie. That was what he said. Madgy said that it was minor and that it could or could not help him if they clipped it. Then we were off to see the audiologist to repeat the two hearing tests that the audiologist at Early On had already done. Kaiden 'failed' this hearing test. He is unresponsive and doesn't recognize his name so we don't think his is deaf, but I do think he may have some hearing loss. Pete thinks his hearing is fine. The audiologist concluded as did the other one that Kaiden would need a Auditory Brainstem Response (ABR) test done and he'd need to be sedated for it since he needed to be quiet. An ABR test is used for hearing and brain (neurological) functioning. The ABR test involves attaching electrodes to the head to record electrical activity from the auditory nerve (the hearing nerve) and other parts of the brain. I asked if this could be done at St. John's when he has his MRI sine he has to be sedated for that. The audiologist called over to St. John's to inquire but she said that the test that they do isn't as extensive as the one that they do at Children's Hospital. They are also very booked up for this test and the first opening isn't until sometime in July. I'm currently on the waiting list for when that schedule opens up to be put on.

Madgy said we'll address the tongue tie after we come back to see him after the ABR. If it was one of the girls, I'd let it wait. But if there is any chance that this could in anyway impact Kaiden in the future, I just want it taken care of now. I don't want it to be an issue or non-issue later down the road.

No comments: